Send Letters and Gifts to ServLife International PO Box 20596 Indianapolis, IN 46220
Child Sponsorship Gift Guidelines
We encourage you to write and send gifts to your sponsored children! We hand deliver your letters and gifts to sponsored children twice a year. Because of packing and size restrictions we have some guidelines gifts must follow.
- THE ENTIRETY OF YOUR CHILD'S GIFT MUST FIT INSIDE A ONE GALLON ZIP-LOCK BAG.
- Make sure the gift is age and gender appropriate
- Keep the value to no more than $10-20
- Examples of good gifts include:
- small books
- matchbox cars
- fingernail polish
- pens and pencils
- DONT SEND ANYTHING TOO LARGE TO FIT IN ONE GALLON SIZE ZIP-LOCK BAG.
- Don't send any toy weapons or games involving violence
- Dont send cash or items over a $20 value
Child Sponsorship Letter Writing Guidelines
Writing to the child you sponsor through ServLife International can open a line of communication with another corner of the world, another culture, another individual for both you and your sponsored child. It can be an exciting and heartwarming activity that allows you to share aspects of yourself with your child and they with you. However, due to the cultural and economic differences between the United States and the country where your child resides, we highly recommend you adhere to the following guidelines when choosing to write to your child.
Please do include:
Please do NOT include:
- Your Name
- Favorites: colors, games, sports, toys, hobbies, animals, etc.
- What you like to do on weekends or for fun. Ask what they do for fun, as well!
- With whom you live: spouse, children, animals (first name and age of each is okay)
- What grades your children are in at school; their favorite subjects, hobbies, sports, games, colors, etc.
- Ask your sponsored child questions about school; such as what grade he or she is in, favorite subjects, etc.
- Encourage your sponsored child to write back to you, and ask if there is anything he or she wants to know about you or your family.
Some additional tips:
- Addresses (including email address, home or work address, and phone numbers)
- Material items (type of house you own or car you drive)
- Saying you want to come visit your child as the children will expect you to be on the next plane out! You can possibly visit your child but please contact ServLife to arrange.
- Saying you want your child to come to the US, or you want to bring him or her to the US.
- Consider your sponsored child's environment and culture. Be sensitive to not mention your material possessions or money, as this could make your child feel uncomfortable or deprived.
- A simple one-page letter is ideal. Share about yourself, your family, and your interests. Write about children you know. Use colorful pens and decorate your letters!
- Let your sponsored child know that you are praying for him or her. Find out about the customs, climate, culture, and country where your child lives. You'd be surprised what you might have in common!
- Encourage your sponsored child in his or her education, hobbies, and endeavors.
- Encourage your own children to write to or draw pictures for your sponsored child.